Saturday, April 16, 2011

34: my internet buddy!

My blog was mentioned to me today. I know blogger is so 5 years ago, now it's all about tumblr, twitter, and the power of the re-blog (re-tweet) and (shudder) memes and other fleeting bits of entertainment. Whatever happened to original thought provoking content? It still lives here on my blog :) which is still going to be finished this year!

I don't have too many internet friends. The very term "internet friends" makes me think of "To Catch a Predator" or random chat rooms back in the day when I was still using dial-up to access the internet. I do have one that I chat with every so often because we were connected through a mutual friend playing L4D. It's weird because if I don't log on to the internet I really don't know much about what is going on his day to day. I don't imagine it differs much from what he presents me, computer programmer by day and aspiring writer, artist, game developer at night. He always has his hand dabbling in some pet project, since he finds so much more fulfillment doing things he enjoys. Being a code monkey in the morning is how he funds this other activities. 

One of his most inspiring projects was the completion of his novel. Thanks to the advent of technology and the ease of producing small quantities of customizable books he was able to publish it through Amazon. I bought a copy to support him, and it is currently sitting on my bookshelf with a bookmark in it... but it will be read. The sheer fact he put his mind to writing a piece of sci-fi and took the time to format it into a book is pretty commendable. It's not to say his day job isn't demanding either, because I'm sure it is. Kudos to him for producing something he thinks is of value and he enjoys doing. Way too many people hold back from doing things like that because they're scared of failure, but really the learning happens along the way. Failure is still a success, as in you can learn from it if you let yourself. 

Well I hope we do get to meet one day in person. In fact I will make a point to crash at his place if I end up applying/getting interviews for interesting jobs where he lives. So here's a quick lesson for anyone is afraid to reach out to people they don't really know. Don't be, everyone you know was a stranger to you once, and only when one of you reached out to get to know the other person did that change.







No comments: