Sunday, February 27, 2011

thirty: you are so strong!

I've spent an exorbitant amount of time on my computer this week, working on a paper and procrastinating since it is reading week. Somehow that ended up in a new sleep pattern, which was probably a good thing because I was able to chat with a friend the other night. He's not someone I'm particularly close to, we've hung out a few times, exchanged a few emails, and now we're even chatting and texting. I guess you could say we were brought together in the worst of circumstances, which is something too private to reveal online.

It's been comforting to go through some of the same stuff together though, even though our outcomes could not be any different. I wouldn't want to trade places with him, but to say I haven't imagined the possibility would be a lie. I am so amazed at how strong he has been since his world was turned upside down. He's taken time off from school and focused all his energy on what was needed of him for two years. I could barely manage through one semester... He has found ways to encourage me, even when I should be the one encouraging him. I know you can make it through this, and remember when you feel you can't take another step there are many of us who want to support you. And I promise I'll be there, I'm just 10 digits away.

Take your time to feel sad, angry, relieved, whatever. Don't deny yourself the chance a good cry. Only those who are truly strong are capable of showing their emotions and vulnerabilities. I know this is probably one of the toughest things you'll ever have to face, and it's probably extra hard when you're young. It's probably something that will always be a small trickle of conscious thought in your day-to-day but the emotions will become less intense with time. Remember you are strong and you have made it this far.

No comments: